Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is more than just for throwing things away it is for shopping too! The more you buy things used the less stuff you buy new. I save money and the person selling it makes a little money. I won’t buy used things that are unsanitary. Here are 7 Things I Never Buy New to save money.
7 Things I Never Buy New
- Books. I never buy new books. I can go to the library, visit a thrift store, or do a book exchange with friends. Even with college textbooks you can get used or even rent them now. Sometimes in college I would even share a book with a friend.
- Decor. I very rarely buy decor brand new. I get most of my decor from yard sales and thrifting. Picture frames, artwork, curtains (though I did make most of the curtains in my home myself) are all things I buy used.
- Gaming Systems and Video Games. Even if you want the latest version of a gamily system, give it a month and you will find an almost new one in Game Stop. Games are always a gamble to me. No one knows for sure that game will be a hit in your home or that it won’t be too easy. I have only bought one game new and I have since regretted it. I wanted the Epic Mickey game when it first came out. After 4 times of trying to play it, I gave up and never touched it again.
- Musical Instruments. Brand new musical instruments are so expensive! Renting a musical instrument might be an option if you are not sure you are going to like it. Overall though, find a nice used instrument and get the most worth for your money. I got a pretty nice clarinet for $40 used. My husband got a hold of a beautiful tuba that just needed to be restored, back in its’ prime it was the most expensive model out there.
- Dressers, Entertainment Centers, Tables. Pretty much if I don’t sleep on it I will buy it used. Some of these items I have even got for free. Since I know I am going into foster care and will be needing more dressers, bed frames, and a bigger table I already am scoping out the Craigslist free section. I could always restain, paint, or do over a piece that is ugly to me if the quality is good enough. [Read more…]