My husband is my best friend, but every woman needs friends to share interests with and confide in. I am blessed to have some amazing friends. The Bible gives us a lot of insight of how to pick our friends and and how to treat them. Here are some questions to ask yourself if you want to be a friend like Christ is to us.
Biblical Friendship – Am I Living Up to It?
- Do I pick friends that lead me closer to Christ? Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. Proverbs 13:20
- Do I have friends that are quick to anger and give into their anger? It is easier to fall into angry behaviors than it is to get them to change since God does the changing. Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare. Proverbs 22:24-25
- Do I make friends with people who make me disobey God’s Word? Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” I Corinthians 15:33
- Do I treat my friends as I want to be treated? And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. Luke 6:31
- Do I build up my friends? Encourage them to do God’s will? Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29
- Do I forgive my friends when they do me wrong? Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
- Do I listen to my friends if they are giving advice? Sometimes God uses our friends to show us where we can be wrong. Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future. Proverbs 19:20
- Do I challenge my friends to live more like Christ, do they do the same for me? Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17
- Do I gossip about my friends? Even spreading “true” stories is not always a very good thing to. Friends tell you things in confidence. A perverse man spreads strife, And a slanderer separates intimate friends. Proverbs 16:28
- Am I friendly to others? Making friends is important to our health in so many ways. This is something I personally need to work on as I can be too quiet or shy when in a group situation. A man who has friend must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24
What area of friendship do you need to work on?
Photo Credit: Flickr CC (text added)