Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas will change the way you view Christmas as a Christian. You will see how everything, even the secular elements point to Jesus. Not only do I share what this movie is about in this post, I also share some fun things I learned about Kirk Cameron, his family, and his faith when I chatted with him during a teleconference.
“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.
What is Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas About?
The storyline of Saving Christmas is that Kirk is at a family Christmas party. People are dancing, feasting, playing with Santa, and enjoying presents. Kirk’s brother-in-law isn’t feeling in the Christmas spirit. Kirk goes out and talks to him and finds out why- the commercialism, secular and pagan symbols like the tree, Santa, and the lack of what he considers Christ-centered activities. Kirk goes on to explain why all of those things ARE pointing to Jesus and the work of the cross.
Think you know about Christmas, about Santa? I am sure, like me, you were missing some details that put together the big picture. The most surprising thing I learned was about Santa Claus, which of course is St. Nicolaus. I knew there was a real St. Nicolaus but did not know how important he was to the Christian faith. Even though I don’t have kids yet, I did have a viewpoint of Santa is not going to be glorified in my home. I have one Santa on my tree and he resembles St. Nicolaus more. I now am going to allow more Santa in my home because of what I learned about him.
The movie also addresses Christmas trees, presents, the nativity, and more. After watching this movie, I can’t wait for Christmas to begin. I am sure you will feel the same way. Tip: Stay until the very end of the credits for the gag reel and a very funny song!
I give Saving Christmas 5/5 Stars.
Official Website: www.savingchristmas.com
Fun Facts about Kirk Cameron
Last week was an amazing week! I got to teleconference with Kirk Cameron about his latest movie- Saving Christmas. Yes, I got to talk to my teenage heart throb!!! What is amazing about Kirk Cameron is you can tell he is a very sincere believer. His faith is wrapped up in everything he does, especially Christmas. Saving Christmas is a movie I believe all Christians should see.
Here are 10 things I learned about Kirk Cameron from the teleconference:
- Kirk suggests reading There Really is a Santa Claus – History of Saint Nicholas & Christmas Holiday Traditions by
- Kirk home schools his children and his reasoning, ” If you send your kids to Ceasar to be educated, don’t be surprised when they come back Romans.”
- Someone asked Kirk when/how he does devotions with his family. He says he takes every possible time, instead of a set time. For instance, they might do a devotion at the dinner table, on the way to practice, or on the way to the store.
- The point of the movie is to maximize our joy, which has been stolen and drains us.
- If you have present hungry little ones. Kirk Cameron suggests having them watch the Charlie Brown Christmas. Saving Christmas is appropriate for children though.
- Kirk Cameron was an atheist before accepting Christ as his Savior during the final years of Growing Pains.
- Kirk met his wife on set, and “stole” him from Mike Seaver.
- When it comes to teenage boys he says don’t look outside of your family for guidance. He also suggests the book Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
- Kirk’s whole family loves cooking and they often set up and play their own version of “Chopped” at home.
- Kirk says kids need parents who are all in, find like-minded families to spend time with. Kirk and his family hang out with the Robertsons occasionally!