Have you ever read Proverbs 31 and felt like you will never measure up to her qualities? I feel that way a lot. On some days I feel like I am a perfect picture of what I am supposed to be and some days I don’t even come close. The more I thought about it, the less I tried to be her. I mean, she is the “perfect” wife and I am very human.
I have bad days where I don’t even want to get out of bed, much less make it.
I avoid the laundry, shop without planning, and argue with my husband.
When Proverbs was penned I don’t think God intended for it to be this unobtainable checklist of things we are supposed to do. For me, it is the heart we are supposed to strive for. We are going to make mistakes, we are going to have bad days and be the furthest thing from the ideals. That doesn’t mean we give up. “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.” Hebrews 12:1-2a
Striving to be the Proverbs 31 Woman
I have narrowed it down to 10 qualities I believe show the heart of the Proverbs 31 woman. These are the qualities I am going to working on.
- She loves God and it is evident to others.
- She honors her family, including her husband, parents, kids, and other relatives.
- She teaches and guides her children.
- She gives generously.
- She practices high standards of modesty.
- She does what she can to support her family, whether it staying at home or working outside of the home.
- She is financially prudent in all ventures.
- She is a good friend, neighbor, and citizen.
- She takes care of herself physically, mentally, and spiritually.
- She has a great work ethic.
Lord, I pray that you make my heart more like hers. Give me strength each day to strive for the qualities that make her so highly favored. Amen.
What quality of the Proverbs 31 Woman do you struggle with the most?
If you have Kindle Unlimited you can read the highly rated book The Proverbs 31 Project for FREE!